Four Simple Steps
Here are four simple steps to keep your carpet clean and looking great:
- VACUUM, VACUUM, VACUUM- Vacuum regularly and more frequently in high-traffic areas. This is the most important step in carpet care. Make sure you are using the right vacuum for your type of carpet.
- Clean spots and spills quickly- While many carpets are stain resistant, no carpet is completely stain-proof. See below for more information on how to best clean up stains or spills.
- Professionally deep clean your carpets every 18 to 24 months to remove embedded dirt and grime. Make sure your carpet cleaner knows exactly what type of carpet you have to avoid doing more damage to your carpet.
- Stop dirt at the door by using mats outside and in, taking your shoes off when you enter the house, and changing your air filters to reduce airborne dust particles.
fun fact: Did you know it’s best to wear socks while walking on a carpet to avoid the oils from your feet transferring to your carpet?
As a general Rule of thumb, it’s important to always do the following when you have a carpet stain:
- Scrape: remove as much of the solid mess as possible
- Absorb: blot repeatedly to absorb the stain quickly Blot: never rub or rub your carpet abrasively, always blot! Work from the outer edge in
- Rinse: always follow up with water to remove cleaning product residue
- Pressure: place several layers of paper towels or cloth over the spot and add pressure to pull the stain up
- Vacuum: once the carpet is dry, vacuum to restore texture
- First use warm water to try to remove the stain. If the stain persists, make a detergent solution by adding 1/4 tsp of dishwashing liquid to 1 cup of warm water. Apply the solution to the spill and let sit for 5 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. Repeat until all the solution is removed.
- Gently press a clean cloth into the spill to remove as much moisture as possible. Don’t scrub! Scrubbing can damage the fiber and set the stain.
- Add warm water, and blot the stain until the color stops transferring to the cloth.
- If the stain persists, make a detergent solution by adding 1/4 tsp of dishwashing liquid to 1 cup of warm water.
- Apply the solution to the spill and let sit for 5 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. Repeat until all the solution is removed.
- Place a paper towel on the spill to absorb the liquid. Weigh down the towels and let them sit overnight.
- Once the carpet is dry, vacuum to restore the texture.
- If the stain persists, repeat steps 3 through 7.